The Victor and Loti Smorgon Chair in Paediatrics is established through the generous philanthropy of the Smorgon Family.
Victor Smorgon AC (1913-2009) was an industrialist and one of Australia’s most generous philanthropists. He immigrated to Australia from Ukraine in 1927, settling in Carlton North and establishing a kosher butchery with his family. Over time, the humble business grew to become an empire encompassing steel, paper, plastics, forestry and commercial property. Along with his wife Loti Smorgon AO (1919– 2013), the couple generously gave back to the community with significant contributions to medical and arts institutions.