Mrs Sarah Bishop was appointed Matron in 1875, and served in the role for 24 years until 1899. She was responsible for the nursing staff and trainees, the maids, cook, laundrywoman, handyman, gardener and errand boy. Over the years Matron Sarah Bishop campaigned with the Committee for improvements to the living conditions of nurses, domestics and doctors who lived at the hospital.
Sarah Anne Bishop, Circa 1875
The Children’s Hospital; Carlton, Victoria
Gelatin silver photograph on card