The hospital is the first public hospital in Melbourne to open a Radiology department under Dr. Herbert Hewlett. The Committee purchased X-ray equipment for £25.
This demonstrated the Committee’s desire to stay on top of new technology, as X-rays were only discovered in 1895.
Under Hewlett’s leadership, radiology developed rapidly at the Children’s Hospital.
The First X-Ray Apparatus, 1896
The Children’s Hospital; Carlton, Victoria