Share history. Innovate today. Transform tomorrow.
Two doctors, Dr John Singleton and Dr William Smith, had a vision “to help sick and injured children at no cost to families”. From such humble beginnings, The Melbourne Free Hospital for Sick Children opened its doors in 1870 with just six beds.
Dr Singleton and Dr Smith’s vision continues, stronger than ever, as does the generosity needed to support it. From its inception, philanthropy and generosity have been cornerstones of the hospital, an institution guided primarily by leadership and compassion.
A name synonymous with history, excellence and trust, for 150 years, the RCH remains at the forefront of paediatric healthcare, providing world-leading care for the sickest and most vulnerable children and their families, locally, nationally and internationally.
Images in our timelines are courtesy of The Royal Children’s Hospital Archives Department.